3D printing and related technologies are definitely a new thing in our society and they have been introduced in order to provide anyone with an option to quickly create something using their creativity and a couple of useful gadgets. It is not easy for just anyone to create new products which can amaze their friends, family, and even the entire world.
However, there is a new gadget called a 3D pen and it seems to be gaining popularity quickly. Let’s find out what it is, why you need one, and what are the top 10 3D pens available on the market today.
What is a 3D Pen?
A 3D pen is a relatively useful gadget for artists and designers. It utilizes the same principle as a glue gun as you will soon discover. A 3D pen looks quite similar to a regular pen; the only difference being that this pen is larger and feels heavier. It uses plastic which come in the form of plastic filaments which are then inserted into the pen, heated, and come out in a liquid form.
A 3D pen works virtually on anything and it can give the needed edge to your designs and drawings to really make them stand out from the competition. It adds a new dimension to everything because they work on any material. However, it can be quite difficult to find a perfect one for your needs, especially if you have just heard about them. The market is flooded with various models but only a percentage of them really deserve your attention. Check out the buying guide below for more information!
Everyone needs to realize that this is a relatively new technology and is still being developed. The whole idea of a 3D pen started as a KickStarter project. Still in its growth stage, the developers of 3D pens are still learning about the technology along with their audience. This being said, you won’t have a lot of problems getting to know your 3D pen. However, there are some very important things to consider whilst making your first purchase. You need to be able to determine what you are going to use the pen for and what features you would like it to include.
The design is very important for a 3D pen because the gadget itself is used in our hands, meaning it has to have the perfect ergonomic design to fit our hands correctly and make the process of drawing easier. The weight is also important for an artist because heavy pens are difficult to handle and they cause issues with precision.
Everyone has a different budget when it comes to buying a 3D pen and this guide will implement both expensive, professional models along with low-end, amateur pens. It all depends on what exactly you intend to do with it. If your profession is related to virtual and graphics design, we would personally recommend you invest a bit more money in order to make your job a lot easier. On the other hand, if you intend to use it for a hobby and simply have some fun with it while creating 3D drawings in your backyard the price-to-performance ratio is vital as well.
Reviews and Brands
The major logic behind online shopping is to double check every item before making a purchase. Online marketplaces have made the process easier by implementing a five-star system where buyers can review the items they’ve purchased. The same logic can be applied to 3D pens since you should read reviews to help your decision. Reviews are written by people who bought the item and tested it for a couple of days. However, there are certain reviews that may be biased or subjective.
The second type of reviews are done by online experts who evaluate various products, weigh their pros and cons and come up with a rating. These reviews are ought to be trusted, especially if they are written by an independent source. People generally put a lot of effort into them, making them worth your time.
Your choice of brand is also very important. It’s better to wait and research everything about the new product before making the purchase yourself. Sticking with major brands will also feel a lot safer and you will be able to read a lot of online reviews about them.
Various manufacturers implement a wide array of functions into their 3D pens. The amount and the variety of those features depend greatly on the price, but good pens can be found for a low price as well.
- Temperature – some pens let your control their temperature in order to melt the plastic in a completely liquid form or not.
- Speed – you can also control the speed of the filament flow of certain pens, meaning you have complete control over what you are about to make.
- Different Filaments – There have been a lot of different filament types developing over the past couple of years and the number is around fifteen at this time. You would want to choose the best one for your needs because it’s the most important part of your 3D pen. Four major types of filaments include Standard, Composite, Specialty, and Flexible.
We hope our buying guide has helped you get to know the 3D pen and we recommend you check out our Top 10 products with short reviews!
Top 10 List
This is a newer, more modern version of the first Scribbler Pen which was also the first 3D pen in history. Scribbler has become a major powerhouse in this business and they produce 3D pens for different types of customers. There is a variety of different choices to choose for the pen color and even a larger variety of colors to use for filaments. The pen itself is lightweight and the design suits our hands perfectly to begin creating our first 3D drawing.
The Scribbler 3D Printing Pen v3 features a large OLED screen which is used to control the pen. The user can control temperature, material type options, and feed settings, just to name a few. There is even a safety feature included, which automatically shuts down the pen after a few minutes of standby time. The package includes the pen, USB charger, and three loops of plastic filament for free! You should also have no problems buying the plastic since it’s very cheap and the pen supports multiple different types.
- The pen is quite lightweight and the user can control it with ease.
- The design is awesome and it will fit your hand perfectly, enabling you to create drawings beyond your wildest dreams.
- The pen releases just the right amount of filament to help improve your 3D drawings. It can also be controlled via the OLED screen.
- There are six different drawing speeds available.
- Customers have reported that the pen can get jammed easily and it can be almost impossible to unjam it.
- It might feel a bit too large for some people; especially for artists who are used to smaller pens.
The one thing the manufacturers of this 3D pen brag about is its ergonomic design. The position of its buttons was altered to make room for your hand and you will feel like a real artist as soon as you pick up this pen and start drawing. If you hold the button, you will get a continuous flow of plastic until you move your finger. There is a total of 8 speeds available for the drawing, enabling perfect control over what you do.
Included in the package deal is the pen, power adapter, a special stand, and two loops of plastic filament for free. The downside of the pen is that it can’t be used without its power adapter since there is no built-in battery. It can also take a while to become familiar with the pen and it might look confusing for some users. A small OLED screen is featured on the pen whose purpose is to check whether the plastic inside the pen is ready to use. This is a good pen overall and it doesn’t have any specific flaw that should deteriorate potential customers from buying it.
- Including a special pen stand and holder is a nice little touch
- The design is ergonomic and controlling the pen should not be an issue whatsoever.
- You get full control over what your pen does and it can lead to some creative and mind-blowing drawings.
- Some customers have reported how the pen is not easy to use and how they have been struggling to keep the plastic flowing.
- The pen doesn’t run on batteries and it needs to stay attached to its power adapter at all times.
It needs to be said that this 3D printing pen was designed with the artist in mind. Beginners might have a hard time with this pen, especially if this is the first 3D pen they end up owning. The pen uses plastic filaments which are melted at high temperatures and then quickly cooled down as soon as it leaves the pen. Holding the button results in a continuous flow of plastic and the flowing speed can be controlled by using the 6-geared control set on the side of the pen.
There is an LED display included which shows the basic information about the current state of the pen with real text messages. The distribution of buttons is amazing and there is almost nothing to complain about when it comes to design. The NEXTECH 3D Pen even shuts down automatically after a minute without anyone using it, making this a great safety feature if you have small children and toddlers around. After getting to know the controls, you will be ready to create interesting, creative, and intelligent drawings with this Intelligent Pen.
- The design is awesome and modern.
- The button distribution is just right, providing the most exquisite performance. No need to worry about ergonomics!
- The safety feature is a nice touch since it will keep your children safe from the hot plastic.
- The price is quite affordable for an artistic 3D pen like this one.
- This pen can be a bit hard to master for beginners but the effort is definitely worth it.
- You should be really careful because the tip of the pen gets really hot after a couple hours of use.
Even though this pen is not the most professional one, it features some of the technologies used in more expensive, professional pens for artists in demand of high-quality products. You are in control when it comes to temperature and speed at which the plastic filament flows out. The button distribution is quite different than you would see in other pens. Buttons which control the filament flow are placed where the thumb should lie but it is adjusted for right-handed customers. If you are left-handed, you might have difficulties adjusting to the controls so your best bet is to simply settle for another option.
The pen features a small ventilation system which is quite useful to keep the overall temperature of the pen as low as possible. This pen isn’t for beginners and it’s not suitable for children to play with. Instead, the perfect audience for this cool pen would be artists and designers looking for a pen which feels natural in their RIGHT hand. Smarson 3D Printing Pen is not so popular with most 3D pen audiences and we think it’s a shame since it has a lot of potential with very little flaws that can be easily fixed.
- The pen is lightweight and it’s easy to create fun drawings if you are already a skilled 3D artist.
- Pens with an LCD display are usually better than the ones without and this one has one.
- It is compatible with a lot of different plastic filaments, such as PLA, LEA, or ABS.
- It doesn’t implement any safety features at all so it might be the best if you don’t leave it around children.
- A lot of customers have reported malfunctions after a couple days of use due to the heat it exerts.
- Beginners might have a hard time getting used to it, especially because there are very few online tutorials for this pen.
Check the Current Price Here.
5. 3dSimo Mini
This is probably one of the best 3D pens on the market today. What makes it so special is its specific design which makes it look more like a marker and it’s quite different than what you are probably used to. The whole idea started as a KickStarter project which received a lot of attention and the required funds to go through with it. Apart from that, you can transform the pen into almost anything you like such as a lighter, soldering device, or any attachment the manufacturer decides to offer with the end product.
Another great thing which you get to use is a smartphone app which is needed to control the pen and its various features. The manufacturer has made sure that no platform feels left out since they made an app for iOS, Android, and even the Windows Phone. This is quite a new product and it’s yet to be revealed to the general public. However, you can order now from the official website and check it out yourself. You won’t feel alone getting to know the pen because even the app itself contains multiple video tutorials.
- 3dSimo Mini is definitely a revolutionary 3D printing pen and its functionality is yet to be matched on the market today.
- You can use various attachments to add more features to the pen in order to assist you with your project.
- Though packed with various functions, it’s quite affordable.
- The companion app lets you control certain aspects of the pen and can be used as a beginner’s guide.
- If you are already familiar with 3D pens, using this one can feel somewhat new and you might need to forget everything you learned so far.
- It’s not available on online marketplaces yet so you can only order from the manufacturer’s website; meaning that shipping might be limited to certain areas.
- The design is quite strange and it’s not so ergonomic.
Check the Current Price Here.
This is also one of the greatest pens available on various online marketplaces. What makes it stand out from the competition is its affordable price and the great performance despite its price of less than $50 dollars. There is a safety feature which automatically shuts down the pen after 4 minutes of idle time. The manufacturer brags about being able to achieve the perfect temperature control, even hours after extensive use. It only takes around half a minute to prepare the filament after you load the pen and the LED display will display basic information letting you know when it’s the right time to use it.
It’s important to state just how simple it is to use this pen, even as a beginner. Customers have reported that they’ve bought the pen for their children and that they are starting to model complex drawings after only a couple of weeks. It does not operate on batteries which means you will have to deal with its long cable which can sometimes get in the way.
- This is definitely one of the best 3D pens you are going to get for such a low price and you definitely can’t go wrong with this one!
- It handles high temperatures well and the internal regulator ensures that it doesn’t overheat.
- It’s very easy to use and can even be used for professional purposes e.g., to glue together several plastic items to form a complex one.
- The design is ergonomic and your wrist won’t get tired, even after a couple hours of drawing.
- The reason this product received some online hate is the fact that several shipped models never managed to turn on.
- It’s not wireless and you will have to deal with a power adapter.
As it can be concluded from its name, this 3D pen is wireless and it operates on batteries. This is quite important for some people who need maximum flexibility for their 3D drawing projects. This is also the first item on our list which does not use classic plastic filaments to operate. Instead, it uses ink cartridges which are actually photopolymers which don’t operate in high temperatures so you won’t need to worry about burning your fingers!
It does not include a safety feature but, frankly, you don’t need one because this product is safe to use by children of all ages. The design is very modern and ergonomic for both amateurs and professionals alike. The only problem might be the fact that it can be difficult to find proper ink to buy since most 3D printing pens use plastic filaments.
- The pen is cordless and there are no cables to get in your way.
- It uses ink cartridges which are activated by LED diodes to create drawings and there is no heating whatsoever!
- The pen is sleek and resembles a regular pen.
- The smell of the ink after the drawing has been made is actually very pleasant.
- Finding proper ink cartridges to refill your pen can be very difficult and the ink is currently produced only by the manufacturer.
- Sometimes the ink flows very slowly and it limits your productivity.
Let’s take a look at a precise, slim 3D printing pen which is available in most popular online marketplaces. Looking at its design, we can confirm that it’s quite ergonomic and it will fit your hand properly; especially because the button alignment allows for easy access in order to make controlling the pen as easy as possible. A good thing is that there is an OLED display included which enables you to monitor the current temperature of the pen. Controlling the speed at which the plastic flows has never been so easy and that is what makes the MYNT3D Pen so great.
The pen is quite affordable for the functionality it offers and there are a lot of features you won’t be able to find in pens with a similar price tag. It does not run on batteries but you won’t need to use a special power adapter because any regular USB adapter will work if the amperage is at least 2A. The temperature itself is adjustable and you can control the temperature in the range of 130-240 C.
- We really liked the design and the pen won’t feel too bulky in your hand for artists wanting to reach maximum precision and efficiency.
- The large OLED screen is very useful and it will display the temperature of the pen accurately.
- You can use any USB power adapter as long as it’s strong enough.
- You can control the temperature with extreme accuracy.
- Your pen needs to stay connected at all times and you will need a long USB cable which should also be flexible.
- The sound it produces can become distracting.
- There isn’t a safety feature implemented so don’t leave the pen around small children; especially after using it.
This is a great pen for beginners not wanting to spend large amounts of money on a 3D printing pen. This pen can make a great gift and it can be a great tool for a hobby. The Soyan Pen is available in many colors.
A major downside is that the pen does not include a LED screen for information. Instead, it uses LED lights to inform you whether the pen is ready for use. The pen is easy to use for children and includes a handy guide in the package to get you started. It features a standby option which turns the pen off after use. Soyan’s initial target audiences were children and beginners looking to get started quickly and easily.
- The pen is affordable and it offers a good price-to-performance ratio.
- It’s safe to use for kids because it does not heat up quickly and the plastic that comes out hardens and cools down in no time.
- The temperature can also be easily adjusted.
- There is a handy guide included which should be enough for anyone to get started immediately.
- Some customers received faulty pens which broke down after several uses without knowing what caused the issue.
- It does not work on batteries and the cable it uses for power is too short for more complex drawings.
Let’s take a look at a 3D printing pen manufactured by Genesis, a company famous for their modern, cool 3D printer. It’s good to know that they have some experience with 3D printers and they definitely used their experience to create an awesome 3D pen. The design is very modern, but the pen itself is quite large and it’s nowhere as slim as other models on the market. Testing has shown that the pen doesn’t overheat easily so there is no need to worry about getting your fingers burnt.
There is a beginner’s guide which helps to familiarize yourself with the controls. Customers have reported that the pen is very easy to use for both children and adults, making the pen a great gift for any occasion and for anyone looking for a new hobby. Our biggest concern is the retail price which feels steep for an amateur 3D pen which isn’t compatible with large, complex projects.
- The pen is easy to learn and master in a couple of days and even small children can learn to operate it.
- The user manual pretty much covers anything you need to know to get you started.
- It’s lightweight and very easy to control.
- It may not be up to par when it comes to more complex projects.
- It can heat up quickly if you use it too much.
Latest posts by Taylor (see all)
- Top 10 4K-Enabled Games You MUST Play on Xbox One X & PS4 Pro - Jan 29, 2018
- Best 4k TVs To Buy Right Now: Top UHD,HDR Picks for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro - Jan 7, 2018
- Top 10 Must-Have Amazon Echo Skills - Dec 27, 2017